Wednesday, January 17, 2007

On maturity

Over the last few days, I feel I have grown-up and this must come as a respite to the numerous divine souls on orkut or otherwise who have requested me to (well, dont get too excited- I say this because I am getting my wisdom tooth now). What gives me this feeling is something I realized when I was talking to someone today.

In life you generally do not end up getting what you wanted, atleast not always. My general perception of a life-well-lived used to be the one where you could get most of what you wanted and could blatantly blame what you didnt, on parents, dog or luck- strictly in that order. (Thomas Brugenzi, no, that still wasnt me). Life would really get messy with thinking about it time and again and so on. In the end, I still would end up not far from where I had begun- only this time, I would hate myself so much more for not being able to get it. Such arrogancy!

I now realize that a big part of maturity, and that is wholly my thought because this is my blog, is to know when to give up and more importantly, how to give up what you dont get. In other words, it is realizing how good you are and living fully within that matrix. When I say "how good you are", I do not mean obviously your looks or piousness or religiosity et al., its more of knowing how much pressure you can handle in a given situation.

I see a lot of people define their lives by saving money, apparently for tomorrow. (And if I were to believe the 'sooth'sayer next door, not for much long). People are so involved in living their lives for tomorrow that they forget they have to live today and by doing so they make sure that tomorrow never comes! Its nice to be thinking of the future, securing your and your family's future and all that but seriously one must take a deep breath and relax, have a cup of coffee or two and do something they really like doing.

Happiness is a state of your mind and we obviously so look for it outside. Life comes at you and you dont want to live?I end with this verse from Chandogya Upanishad (which I think is in context, although you may not):
Yo vai bhuma tat sukham;
Nalpe sukham asti Bhumaiva sukham


And finally the disclaimer: It might just appear that I am being extravagantly faking knowledge but, believe me, that isnt the case. I am still as much stupid as you last knew me, only (perhaps) I spoke that much less. (For people finding it hard to believe- I am quite an introvert, when and if you ever meet me, (your) God forbid, touch wood).

3 comments:

kowsik said...

"to know when to give up and more importantly, how to give up what you dont get."

May be someday I will get to that stage. Till then I can only hope that everything that happens is for me to reach that stage.

.o.

Tanvi Oza said...

:-) Maturity, well i dont know... rather i cannot conceptualize the idea of maturity. People do grow with time, but they act childish (when i see it as a third person), may be situation forces them to act so... i dont know!

Sameer Mathur said...

Well said dost, we just dont have guts to live the present